Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving '13


Today, we are celebrating Thanksgiving around the nation- and by the look of it- it is being celebrated around the world as well. I think Thanksgiving Day has become a chance to get together with your loved ones. Some say it is a day to give thanks for all the blessings in your life, but I don't see it that way.
I see many people recognizing their blessings and good fortune throughout the year and that practice is much better than reserving one day to give thanks. Thanksgiving has become more of a custom, where people get inside the kitchen and cook up all the traditional dishes like mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and of course, turkey. It is a holiday when people can take a break from their busy lives and do the things that matter-socialize and eat.
We, at the Naqvi household have a tradition of our own. We usually pick a cuisine from around the world and focus our cooking on that. For example, Hina has made lasagna a few years ago and we also have done Asian cuisines, if I remember correctly.
This year, we have picked Japanese as our cuisine of choice. Hina will make some kind of fish, mom will prepare tempura, but I will do something un-Japanese for desert. I have baked a Pecan Pie Brownie. I found the recipe on Facebook, when someone I know posted it on their page.
I purchased the ingredients a few days ago, yet I still needed to make a trip to Safeway today to purchase a few ingredients that we didn't have. I started preparing the desert around 12:00 p.m. It wasn't too difficult and the process was pretty straight-forward. I made a bit of a mess though, which mom was nice enough to clean.
The desert came out really nice and I am excited for me and my family to try it tonight. I hope it is as delicious as it looks.
Fo all you bakers out there, the recipe can be found here. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment